Wednesday, August 6, 2008

July 24 - Pioneer Day - Our One Year

Well, before we start the July 24th blog...here's a fun picture from the Sunday before. Shaun was in desperate need of a hair cut so Mark ventured to help him...however Mark has only really cut Robert's hair so that is the only style he really knows how to do. So we laughed cause Shaun ended up looking like a Brems boy...but it was very handsome! Mark did a great job.

Okay...July 24th. It's a special day for us- just one year ago on July 24th was our first date. Mark took me to the Real Soccer game- they were playing Boca (Argentina team). It was lots of fun and who would have known that one year later we would be married. So much has happened in the last year for us both, but it's been a lot of fun and we are looking forward to many more fun years together!!! In the last blog Mark talked about how lucky he felt, well of course he didn't mention any of the wonderful things he does for me. On the 23rd I came home from work and had a few fun surprises for our special day. Plus I had been sick so he wanted to help cheer me up- he got some of my favorite treats from the store, a dozen roses, and sparklers. He really does do a lot to make me happy.....

Okay enough mushy stuff...here's how we spent Pioneer day....

First we decided to go to the famous SLC Aquarium. There are big ads and lots of commercials for it and we had been wanting to go. It was fun...but definitely still in the works. Below you will see about half the Aquarium....

This was a HUGE lobster...and an old one. The guy working at the Aquarium said he's 104 years old. Pretty cool...but look how bit he is- looks like he's about to eat me for lunch.

This was a typical site...just some fun scenery. The starfish is called a Chocolate Chip Starfish (sounds yummy, but I thought it just looked like it was diseased with little bumps all over) and the sea cucumber was fun looking too.

This is a decorator crab. He looked like he just had a bunch of stuff all over him. They had a big touch pool and then little tanks for touching. Since I was so sick I decided not to be spreading germs everywhere...but Mark had fun touching different fish and sting rays. They also had some fun sharks...we didn't get any good pictures of that though.

Here's Mark in one of the kids corners- I wanted a picture of him here because it had a clown fish and a really fun turtle. So cute!

This was a fake reef they had for little kids to crawl in. I just barely fit and while Mark was taking a picture a little boy was next to me, tapping my side and asking what I was doing in there. He thought I should go play in the little cave area with them. It was cute.

After the Aquarium we went to a fish store and looked at some fish and some Aquariums- we saw just as much at the store as we did at the actual Aquarium...but it was still very fun.

On our way back down to Provo we stopped off in Lehi at the cemetery where a lot of Brems have been buried. It was really fun to see them all and hear some of the stories Mark could remember about his ancestors.

Mark next to his great grandparents' headstone. I remember Frances Brems, but can't remember his great grandmother's name. (oops, sorry)

This was another really old one we found. It was pretty neat because you could see the stones were all hand carved.

Mark on a bench next to a few of the Brems' headstones. It was in memory of one of the children who had died.
The headstones and bench.

After the cemetery we headed home and I made a special dinner for Mark...or at least I attempted to do so. I had never even heard of Yorkshire Pudding but he always talked about it so I thought I would try the famous recipe his grandma gave me. They didn't turn out great...but they weren't too bad.
Oh, first here's me in the kitchen. Mark kept trying to get pictures and I would turn my back...I thought I'd add this picture so he doesn't decide to add any of the other ones. :)

Here's the table set for our dinner. To go along with the Yorkshire Pudding, I made a roast with some veggies and of course we had some gravy as well. It was pretty tasty. Also, notice the roses- they were so pretty!

Well, that was our Pioneer Day. Not the traditional Utah way of celebrating, but we had a lot of fun and definitely enjoyed the day off! :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

YAY for your one year mark!! And nice dining room table. We don't even do placemats! Very fancy. I also love your plates. Where did you get them??? SLC's aquarium might suck but at least you have one up there. If I want to see fish we have to go to Rob's parents house to look in their aquarium. :)